Monday, September 25, 2006

Korean food

(I have fixed the second video, for those of you who tried to watch it)

This morning we met Haeseon (Hey-Sawn) and Sue from church for some lunch at the big COEX mall. There are all sorts of American food at the mall, but when Haeseon asked what we wanted to eat, I admitted that I hadn't eaten Korean yet, so we headed up to the 9th floor of the department store and had a nice, sit down meal with Haeseon and Sue. I really liked it, except for the kimchi, of course, which was entirely too spicy for me. Haeseon said that she thought that the kimchi we got was a little too "mature", which I thought was a nice way of putting it.

Haeson is Korean, but moved around a lot growing up, and went to college in Montana (of all places). Sue is also Korean, from Seoul, and went to college in China. Stephanie and I had a good time walking around the mall with them today - Stephanie got a new battery for her watch, we looked at the ridiculously expensive stuff at the department store (Marc Jacobs, Calvin Klein, Beanpole, Louis Vuitton, etc.), and Haeseon talked to one of the cell phone providers about a plan that Stephanie and I could afford, and how it all worked. (You have to buy your cell phone here and they are extremely expensive.) It was so helpful to have Haeseon there to translate and ask questions for us. Yay Haeseon.

From there I went to my training for about 3 and a half hours. You know, company policies and all, but also grammar and reading skills, brushing up on major concepts that... I don't know that I ever learned. Participles and clauses and such. Lucky me, I have a test tomorrow :)

Stephanie and I split off from the mall (her to work, me to training), and I was on my own for the first time in Seoul. I found my building alright, after a quick confusion, and riding the subway home by myself wasn't so bad, except for another small mistake. I'm actually really glad I bought my ipod this summer, because I've been listening to it a lot on the subway. I do a LOT of walking and stair climbing from the subway .. I woke up sore this morning.

So here are some pictures from today!

1 Comments:

At 7:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't know why my previous comment posted twice. sorry. Are the friends that went to the mall with you CDI teachers or from church? Did you have to pay for the extra luggage weight? No bed yet? How about a futon? Love ya! Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home