Monday, January 15, 2007

Korean bbq

Well, payday was yesterday, so after work Stephanie and I went out to dinner at one of our favorite Korean bbq places. I really like almost all of the sides they give us, and it's just a good place. Sometimes you go to bbq somewhere and the sides are only "so-so" (that is a word our kids use a lot), but this place is really good.

So here's the process of Korean bbq. The setup:
You grill your own meat, and you can put the little cloves of garlic on the grill as well. On the far right are some onions in a marinade, next to that is some oil and salt, my water glass, kimchi, and your dinner comes with a bowl of soup. In the back you can see a white bowl, and in that bowl are some green onions with spices and sauce on them. There are other things that aren't in the picture, such as the slab that the raw meat comes on, the salad mixture, a potato salad-esque dish, and of course the leaves. Everything on the table is shared, including the soup. Stephanie and I have our own rituals. She likes radishes, and I generally do not. I eat the kimchi, and she doesn't.

So you grill your own meat at your own pace, and this is how you make it. You choose your meat wisely, and rub it in some oil and salt:

Then you take a leaf in your hand, add the meat piece in the middle, along with some onions, some garlic, and some bean paste:

Also, you can add anything at the table, really, into your little baby wrap. Sometimes we get rice, and you can put some rice in there, or some of the green onions, etc.

Then you roll that baby up any way you want to, and stuff it in your mouth. Like my cousin Scott, the king of wraps, said: "Just like a mini wrap!" And yes, it is indeed.

Stephanie and I both love the bbq here, and I know when I go home it will be something I crave. I need to do some research on whether Portland has any good Korean bbq places.

Now, I told some of my family that I like kimchi and the response I got was "you mean that rotten cabbage?" and i responded "yes". I feel as if I am not believed. I actually do like it. I can't eat too much at a time, but I enjoy it. So, here's further proof.

Here's the kimchi in all its glory:
There are many types of kimchi, and I think the most common is cabbage. Kimchi is really, i think, the process and flavorings, as many kinds of foods have been kimchi-ized.

So here we go:



There. That has been your lesson in Korean bbq.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home