Saturday, March 20, 2010

Wise

Yesterday, as we waited for names to be called, a few of my fifth grade girls quizzed me on the status of my gray hair. We talked about all of the different options. Renata specifically wanted to know why I hadn't taken the problems into my own hands...

Renata: Why do you not... you not... (motioning with her hands)...
Me: Pull it out? ALL of this gray hair?
Renata: Yes! Yes - you pull....
Me: Because then I would be bald, Renata.

We talked about dyeing hair, and I told them how I had dyed the ends of my long hair blue, then green, then red, when I was a teenager. They asked why I had done something so crazy. Now that my hair is longer, and I can pull it back, the kids have often commented on my multiple earrings. I had the pleasure of explaining to my two tutor students that I used to have a long bar in my ear. They were repulsed.

The gray hair, the colored hair, the piercings.. it doesn't seem that different to me, but it is VERY different to these students. And while I'm more conservative now, and they still seem weirded out by my different choices, it is somewhat reassuring to me to show them that a very normal, sane, average person can make choices that go against the flow. I'm not advocating that my students get piercings or dye their hair (oh please, no!), but there is something to be said for allowing my students (especially my girls) to see that the possibility of choosing to go a little bit against the norm can be perfectly normal and okay. In a world of the latest brands, mall stores, popular music, and gadgets, I know I can at least show them that there are ways to be your own person. It's a small way of saying "Hey! Look at me! I'm not so weird, yet there are certain things I believe, and it's okay."

4 Comments:

At 1:53 AM, Blogger Kraig Etzel said...

there are worse things than being bald ;)

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Ariel and Amanda said...

hey guess what? i'm starting to get some gray hair too. not in a cool way, like yours-just at the temples like normal old people.
also, you're right, it's really good for those kids to see that being a little different doesn't mean you're crazy. :)

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm glad you're you, not some cookie-cutter, carbon copy mall rat. But, you are a very little bit weird. Sorry, sister, but it's the truth. :)

 
At 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very well said but still... A tattoo of Oregon on your... Oh nevermind! Love and miss you Scott

 

Post a Comment

<< Home