Tuesday, January 23, 2007

language confusion

First: I want to say that I might be crossing some sort of roommate boundary line in telling her story on my blog.

Second: I want to forewarn you that the following topic might be offensive to some. But it has to be told, because it's so funny.

Our dear friend, Matt Nash, of St. Helens, Oregon, has a lovely saying. It goes like this: "you.. buttcheek". Now, this is mostly an affectionate term but is used with friends when they are acting stupid, or silly.

Stephanie and I share a cell phone here in Seoul. This is for two good reasons: cell phones are ridiculously expensive, and we need one even though we hardly ever use it. So we share one. The common practice is to take a picture of yourself and put it on your cell phone. Stephanie and I have a picture of the two of us, and I put the little saying "you buttcheek" on the phone to remind us of our funny friend, Mr. Matt Nash.

Well, Stephanie let a Korean friend borrow the phone today. He's still learning English, and was questioning what "you buttcheek" means. Stephanie had to tell him, being embarrassed, what it means.

ah. language. culture. fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home