Tuesday, March 20, 2007

My students' writing

My students have a LOT of homework. They do all of their class homework (finishing their workbook and writing in a notebook), and then do other homework that I rarely ever see and I definitely don't grade. I can, however, look at their little writing essays online when I want, and it's fun to read what they write.

My adorable, wonderful, super intelligent upper level class full of fifth and sixth graders are my favorite, and their writing this week was superbly hilarious, so I thought I would share. We are reading a small scholastic reader called "Gross Body Facts". Last week we talked about bad breath and sweating. So, although I don't know what their essay question was, I can tell by the students' answers that the question was something like "What would you do if your friend smelled bad?" These are some excerpts from their writing (usually the first one or two sentences). These were the highlight of my evening:

"First, I run away from smell friends to another friend. Because talk to the smell friends so they can despair. I don´t want to make friends despair." -Rina

"If he was my best friend, I would tell him you smell bad. But if he was not my best friend, I would run away secretly and never meet him again, before he takes a shower."-David

"If I and my friend play together, I think bad smell from my friend moves into my body and so another friends can have the misunderstanding that I have a bad smell, too. Therefore, they don´t like me. So I think running away from the friend having a bad smell is the best way." -YunJi

"If my friend smells bad, I will say I need to go home because, today my grandfather comes here. Then, I will run away to my house." - Mark

"If my friend smells bad, First I will tell him that he is smells bad. I will give him a one more chance. And I will just play with my freinds. and If he is still smells bad,I will ask him that ″Did you wash last night.″"- Andy

"First, I would tell him methods because I think it is better than escaping from him. If I escape from him, he will be unhappy. But, if I tell him methods, he may try to change his smell."- Brian

"Hey my friend! I want to tell about your smell. I´m sorry tell this. Umm... I sniff something. Maybe this smell is from your body."- Cruise

"I would go to a store and buy my friend a purfume,with a card saying,″hey... you really smell!″. Also , I wouldn´t hurt my friend´s feeling! Isn´t that a wonderful idea?"- Christine

"When my friend smells bad, I would do two things. One thing is to make my friend think about her smell and another thing is to give her a natural soap."- Louise (who went on to say that she would help the friend think about the smell by talking about a different "somebody" with a bad smell, and then giving them the natural soap under the guise of "it's good for your skin").

HA!

1 Comments:

At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta love Mark's answer - he'd make up a story about his grandfather coming to his house. Avoidance works.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home