Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Kids are blunt

Kids are blunt, you know? They say whatever, whether it's going to hurt someone's feelings or not. Not that my feelings were hurt. Don't jump to conclusions. But kids are funny and they often say things before thinking about them. I sometimes seem to revert back to my pre-adolescent (or, I guess, adolescent... or even college..) self and get embarrassed, but I've mostly gotten past the time where a comment about my appearance would make me angry. I mean, who can blame a four year old for asking about spots on your teeth or face?

But fifth grade boys, you know? They'll do that to you. Although, fifth grade boys do it behind your back. And that is why, when at an all school assembly, I immediately turned around when I heard two boys whisper "gray hair". I know it's my hair. Oh well. I've never minded before.

Fifth graders seem to be preoccupied with my gray hair. They know something's not right. They understand the concept that if my face is young, and I act young, and I dress young... but my hair is gray, then there's something wrong. So, as seems to be par for the course in my life, I fielded yet another question from another fifth grader, from an entirely different class. "Did you dye that part of your hair?"

As I've learned to cope with copious amounts of this question, I quickly replied "No, it's natural, and I started getting gray hair in high school." That quickly freaks out children and I wonder if in their minds they are thinking "what if that will happen to me?"

So far I've substituted in 2nd, 4th, 5th and 6th grade. Tomorrow I have kindergarteners. I've never taught kindergarten before, and I think that idea scares me more than meeting a new room full of sixth graders, who are often as tall as I am. I've babysat many 5 year olds. I've never taught a room full of them. We'll see how it goes. I predict the verdict will be one of two choices: complete chaos, or not complete chaos. I'll get back to you. I'll also tell you how many times I had to tie shoes, wipe a nose, or how many times someone had to go pee-pee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home