Wednesday, March 24, 2010

mmm mmm food

I've been in Mexico a lot. Before this school year I spent a really good chunk of time here, but still I'm always learning. And I'm not talking about my Spanish, but of cultural things. I have actually found, this year, that there are more cultural things that I thought were just my friends in at the daycare rather than Mexico or Baja California as a whole. Then I came and lived here - and guess what? The food Cande prepares at the daycare kitchen is like the food my kids eat at their houses! Go figure.

I love Mexican food. This is no surprise. It's good. This year I've discovered some new things that I love.

Tortas
My dad used to always get tortas when we were visiting Mexico. A lot of times tortas are served with ham. I don't like ham. And really - why would I get, what appears to be a ham sandwich when I'm in Mexico? Taco, please! This year I was converted. We went to a recommended torta stand here in town and now I'm hooked. They even sell tortas at our school's tiendita, or little store. Bad news. I have to stay away. Now I'm on the hunt, looking for the best torta. Trust me, I still love a great taco, and I almost prefer them... but MAN a carne asada torta hits the spot.

Bolis
I first saw bolis being waved around by vendors at the border. You know, you're waiting in line for up to an hour and who wouldn't love a popsicle while you're waiting in your car? Yeah. I found out about these this year. And you know what? They don't just sell them at the border. Yeah. Bad news, again. Vanilla (as seen above) are wonderful. In fact, so wonderful that I can't seem to waste a boli eating opportunity on another flavor. If you come and visit, I will convince you to get another flavor of boli, and I will try it. Okay? Okay. Deal.

These are just two examples. I'm going to think of more.

And you people wonder why I run so much.

1 Comments:

At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you really didn't describe in detail, can I make a torta? What's the big deal is it all in the bread?
Love, Scott

 

Post a Comment

<< Home