Sunday, May 21, 2006

Fuego

Sad news.

Last night on our way back from church Stephanie and I planned to stop and get some ice cream. The road was crowded on the way into town, and we saw why: There was a huge fire raging in a building on the main street. For those of you who know this town, it was the 3rd building on the left, just past the light.

The fire was enormous... balls of fire rolling up into the sky. We went to the Thrifty ice cream store and we sat there watching it from the store with the store owners. We asked if they knew how it happened and they said no. We asked what building it was, and it turned out to be the Mercado Alianza, a supermarket in town, and in actuality I think it´s the biggest one in town. We watched it burn and burn and burn, and even a telephone pole caught on fire. It seemed to get bigger and so Stephanie and I decided to head home. Unfortunately I didn´t have my camera with me and I couldn´t get any good shots from my place.

I just finished reading ¨The Heart is a Lonely Hunter¨ by Carson McCullers. It takes place in a small Southern town of about 30,000 people, where when things happen everybody knows about it, which is what seemed to happen here last night. There were so many people out in the street, stopped traffic, and so many bystanders taking it all in. Lots of people on their cell phones, and we even saw one teenage girl sticking her cell phone out of the window of her car to take pictures.

3 Comments:

At 11:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sheesh! That must have been quite the experience. At home, the news is all about the implosion of the old Trojan nuclear power plant. One of the news stations showed the implosion probably 15 different ways: inside the dome, heat vision, on top, from the water, etc. It was a quasi-cool experience, but now I know that no matter how much education a person can have, they can still be fixated with fire and explosions or implosions in this case. I am glad you and Stephanie are safe. - Nash

 
At 12:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got your postcard from hollywood the other day, it made me smile.

Stay cool and stay safe.

 
At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Meghan,
I'm at the computer reading your Blog while we're all watching "The Office." Your mom has introduced it to us. LOVE IT!!! Anyway... You must rent the movie, "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter." It was one of my favorites in High School. I couldn't get it out of my head. Love hearing about your journey there. Say hi to Stephanie.
Love you,
Donna

 

Post a Comment

<< Home