Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Making Sentences

My kids have phrases that we work on to understand and to make new sentences. Last night one of the phrases was "(person) called out from (place)". So, they had to insert a person, and a place that they called out from. We complete the sentences in the workbook and also make our own, new sentences. I had to explain to the kids that if someone calls out from a place, that means that they are inside of that place. So, our examples said things like "the trapped hikers called out from the cave", etc.

Well, at the bottom of our page we had a picture and had to make the sentence. It started with "Mrs. Roberts....." Clearly Mrs. Roberts was calling out from the kitchen, as you could see her head poking around the corner by a dining room table. Well, one of my students started talking and said "Mrs. Roberts called out from the chicken..." and everybody in my class started laughing hysterically. The class had been in a fun, joking mood all of the class time, and even I was laughing so hard I was stomping my foot on the floor. The student, Brian, was embarrassed, but laughing, too. The best part of it was that he really meant to say kitchen, but kitchen and chicken sound so much alike, it is easy to get them confused.

I went on to explain (and laugh at the same time), that if Mrs. Roberts was calling out from the chicken that meant she was inside the chicken, and that the chicken must have eaten her!

Oh, fun, when English words sound alike.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home