Saturday, April 07, 2007

Happy Easter!

Yesterday (Saturday afternoon) we spent they day in a very touristy, springy way. We went over to Yoeuido Island with some friends and went to the Cherry Blossom Festival. First though, we stopped by the 63 building.

We walked to the 63 building from the subway station, which was a long and very nice walk. For some reason, I felt like we were in New York City somewhere, though it was probably my mind playing tricks on me. Yoeuido is said to be the financial district of Seoul, and is a large island in the middle of the Han River. We rode up to the "Skydeck", on the 60th floor, and here are some pictures:

You cannot escape the apartments!

As you can see the day was cloudy/smoggy and so you couldn't see that far, but it was still a very cool view. View of the Han River toward the north side of Seoul:

Looking down from the 60th floor:

In the "Sky Tunnel" (which amounted to a pass through that was dark, with psychedelic lights):

Koreans take SO many pictures that any sort of sightseeing attraction has built in picture taking opportunities. Here are some lovely ladies at one of those:

After the 63 building we walked quite a ways over to the Cherry Blossom Festival. We went down by the waterfront and through the park. It was really busy with a lot of people and it was a nice walk to see all the people out on the warmer day. Lots of picnics, bike riding, rollerblading, etc.

We walked past a group of girls who said "hi!" to Stephanie and I, and I said "go take your picture with them!" So Stephanie did and the girls were really excited about it. The girls are wearing the typical style of Korean school uniforms.

This is the National Assembly building, by where the Festival was:

And, oh yeah, we saw some cherry blossoms:

The Festival was really a huge closed off street that is lined with cherry blossom trees. There was some art, and also some performances.


On our way back through the Festival we got stopped and a guy asked Stephanie to take a picture. Stephanie said "sure, I'm a great photographer!" and then after about 2 awkward minutes we realized this group he was with wanted a picture WITH us. So that was kind of strange, but we did it and we all laughed about it.

And to top off my pictures for the day, here's a picture of a typical Korean street treat. I've never had the guts nor the stomach to get this close (it doesn't smell too good), but Will took this picture. These are larvae that is cooked at little stands are the street, and are a very popular snack. But, I do know a lot of Koreans who won't eat them, as well.
Yummm :)

I hope everyone has a great Easter Sunday!

Some of my plans changed this week and I will be heading back to Portland earlier than scheduled. I will be back at the very end of May. I'm looking forward to it, but also trying to pack in as much time here with my friends and seeing as many things as I can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home