Friday, October 10, 2008

The little ones

Well, if fifth graders are ego killers then Kindergarteners are the exact opposite. I tried to keep a running tally of my Kindergarten day on Wednesday. Keep in mind that I had an assistant in the classroom all day. With her help, the day went swimmingly and she probably tied more shoes than me.

1: number of times my hand got held.
2: pairs of shoes I tied.
3: number of times I heard "I have to go to the bathroom!" (they actually are trying to teach the kids to use the sign language sign for bathroom, which is such a relief).
1: number of requests for a "paper" for a runny nose.
8: songs sung throughout the day.
2: lying children who told me, during sharing time that it was their birthday.
2: number of children in the class who I am pretty sure spoke NO English.
2: number of times a kid told me they liked my "hairdo".
1: number of times I got complimented on my glasses (by a kid).
1: number of "I love you"s.
13+: number of hugs I received.
2: number of children who cried for no apparent reason, and could not articulate, in English, their issue.

All in all it went pretty well. I wouldn't mind going back.

Of course, Wednesday was followed by Thursday which saw me back in the fifth grade classroom with a student who just doesn't quit. I was exhausted Thursday afternoon and glad there was no school today state-wide. I spent the morning with a love 18-month-old in story time at the library. When we got home she pretended to feed me out of her play kitchen.

My parents are heading North and it's an exciting time. We have a lot of family time coming up and I am extremely excited. Parties and small trips, both to the beach and a farm, and I am trying to busy myself by making Christmas gifts.

1 Comments:

At 4:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what are you making me? mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home