Thursday, April 08, 2010

why i run

I recently ran my first race. Before that, I swore I would never run a race. Most people didn't know how much I ran, or that I had been running for a while now (3 years, seriously). People seemed surprised, and when I admit that I'm used to running, I often receive a look or response of disgust/shock/pity. It's hard to describe to someone who doesn't run, what running feels like. I know how ridiculous this sounds, because if you had told me this 8 or 10 years ago, I would have had the same response. But I have found, in my short 3 years of running, some major reasons why I run. It seems like the list continues to grow all the time. Here we go - in no particular order.

*It makes me feel strong and healthy. I can't say that I do too many other things that make me feel this way, and I never felt this way while I was growing up. I started running to lose weight. That didn't happen. Instead, I gained a new appreciation for health and taking care of myself.

*Because I can. God gave me this fully-functioning body, and sometimes the thought smacks me across the face that not everybody can do this. I should put it to good use, take care of it, and enjoy the motion.

*Our bodies are amazing. You can train your body to do incredible things. I never wanted to run. Now I can run 7 or 8 miles without thinking about it. I shared with my mom one day about how strange it feels to be able to get up, run 7 miles, not be panting at the end, and not feel sore afterward. I have trained my body to do that. It's almost beyond my comprehension.

*Feeling free. Running is a free time. I get to be by myself, I get to focus on my goals. I get to move freely. I run when I'm angry (those are the long runs), I run when I'm happy, I run when I'm stressed.

*Setting goals. I get to set my own goals and achieve them -- and guess what? Nobody else has to know about them!

*Great legs. I mean... I don't want to brag or anything...

*Good hobby. Sometimes, I don't use my time wisely. In fact, I think I don't use my time wisely most of the time. But running is wise, and a good hobby.

*A morning run. There is something about it. A sunrise, the dew, the breeze, the quietness, the birds, the rush, the adrenaline. Starting off a day with a run is wonderful. Especially in Mexico.

*I have my famous cookies to eat.

2 Comments:

At 12:05 PM, Blogger Kelly Anne said...

Awesome blog! I wish I was into running. I keep trying to get into it and I run out of steam about a week or two in. But I always run on the treadmill. Our weather is FINALLY starting to change, so maybe I'll give it a shot outside to see how I fare...

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Meghan said...

Start off slow, Kelly! Then be slow and take really small increases. Look for a Couch to 5k program online. It's the best way. Don't set out trying to run a mile at a time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home