Monday, June 05, 2006

Mas futbol

I know that the link in the last post doesn't work, and I'll try to fix it.

Because it was a three day weekend it was very relaxing, which actually amounts to the fact that we didn't do much of anything. My parents have some of their stuff already down here and we dug around in a trunk and found some movies! So, of course we watched some of them. Some of them = Catch Me if You Can, The Birds, and Big.

I guess we did a few other things as well. I read. Stephanie read. We e-mailed people. We sat around. It was all good fun. Yesterday I read ¨Esperanza Rising¨ by Pam Munoz Ryan. It is a book aimed at 9-12 year olds. I brought down a few books I bought that are geared toward the age I want to teach. It was a really great book, and I recommend it for any kids you know that are that age. It's a historical tale about a daughter of a ranch owner in Mexico who is forced to flee to work in camps in Southern California, in 1930. It did a great job at simplifying some issues, and lightly touching on some of these historical facts, especially about Mexico.

Okay, so on Friday we didn't do much, but Saturday we went to the globos (market) in San Quentin again. Stephanie and I wanted to buy embroidery to start on. Our family here jokes around that now we are real women, embroidering. Leti told us that in Oaxaca (a southern state of Mexico with many native people) a girl must know how to do this in order to be married, or at least her future in-laws would appreciate it. It's not terribly hard for me, because my grandma taught me so much about sewing and crafts. I just had to learn the stitches, and I follow a pattern. I do have a blister on my right index finger, though. That sure makes me feel like I've accomplished something!

Luis, a guy from the church, came over on Saturday afternoon because he needed help making a myspace page. He is using it to keep in touch with some friends he has made from the American groups that come here, and with some pastors in the States. That was real interesting, trying to communicate with him. He speaks some English, and we speak some Spanish, but there are always little confusions.

Saturday night was church and we played soccer afterward. Last time the teams were boys against girls, but Saturday night we were all mixed up, which wasn't quite as fun, because as nearly every girl can tell you, the boys on your team take over and play hard. But, we all ran around enough to get nice and sweaty. Futbol is fun, but when you run off down the street after the ball, and there's no light, you have to be very careful because the street is so uneven. The highlight of the evening was when the ball went out of bounds, and Stephanie grabbed it to throw it back in, and tossed it right on top of Chuy's head. That's good for a laugh!

Sunday morning I was in the office using the computer. Rosa and Abel, the directors, had some an extra car over at their house, so I knew they had a visitor. When I walked in the building, heading toward the kitchen, I saw there was something cooking in a stew pot on the stove. After I had been on the computer a while I started to smell more of the food, and thought that it smelled pretty good. I was curious as to who was in the kitchen making food, because I was sure I had heard the screen door shut, but I was too embarrassed to creep over and see.

Well, finally I couldn't stand it anymore. I decided to creep quietly down the hall and peek into the kitchen. As I peered around the corner I realized there was no one in the kitchen and whatever was in the pot was boiling and crackling, and there was smoke everywhere. Oops. I went over, turned out the flame on the stove, and after the smoke cleared I looked into the pot to see some chicken, far past the time it should have been pulled off the stove. Someone must have left it there and forgot it. I knew that Abel and Rosa had already left for church. When I asked Rosa about it this morning she said her daughter Damaris put it there and forgot. Talking to Cande, the cook, about it, she said it was a good thing i was in the office, or there could have been a fire.

Why do I tell you this? To let you know that I'm a hero. :) Last week my mom dubbed me futbol hero, this week I am a fire hero! Wow. What a great time in Mexico.

Later on we went to the beach, where a bee flew up Stephanie's shorts and stung her, but don't worry. She persevered like a champ and is just fine.

later on in the day Stephanie and I decided to treat ourselves (what! She just got stung by a bee and survived. That is cause for celebration!) to a nice dinner out. We went to Baja Fiesta (yes, we did, Dad. I know you love that place), and came to a big dilemma. Here we are, in Mexico, at a restaurant that is owned by Mexicans, and it serves Mexican food. But it's also a restaurant aimed at travelers, because there are two menus, English and Spanish, and you can order some American things, like hamburgers. Now, I've been eating mostly Mexican food, and I love Mexican food, but a hamburger sounded so delicious. So we both got hamburgers. What Americans.

Rosa's birthday was last week, but we're having a surprise party today. I knew about the party last week, but it's a good thing I didn't say anything because nobody told me it was a surprise until today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home