Monday, October 09, 2006

Football

I have to call it that.

Last night we went with some people from our church (and friends of those people) to a football game, a "international friendly match" between South Korea and Ghana, at the World Cup Stadium here in Seoul. I'm so glad we went- we had such a great time. Nearly all of us got to sit together, and our friend Candice was a sweetheart and bought us all matching shirts that came with matching bandanas. Unfortunately, we lost 3-1, but it was just such a fun atmosphere. I even learned South Korean football chants, so I can re-enact those for someone if they would like to see when I return.

One funny thing was that Ghana had a cheering section across the field from Korea's "cheering section". One of the cheers involves clapping and "Te Han Mingo" (not sure about that spelling), which I guess is the name of Korea IN Korean. Well, when it was 2-0, Ghana began chanting the same chant back at us. But, of course, I wondered: did they even know what it meant? I mean, they could think it's like saying "yay! go team!", but they were shouting the name of Korea. I'll never know, but it was kind of confusing, wondering if they were shouting for Korea because they felt bad for us, or if they were trying to use the chant for themselves.

One thing it reminded me of is how much I'm going to miss Warner basketball games this season :( Hopefully we can go to some more sports games.

Pictures courtesy of Stephanie, because my camera's battery stopped working. Thanks Stephanie!



Before the game, it was peace all around.


During the game: somebody's body, Candice, Su, the top half of my head, Stephanie, Eddy.


International Friendly Match, Ghana v. South Korea


End of the game. We lost 3-1.


Roomies!


A shot of the stadium, after the game. Down below is the entrance to the subway, with the stadium off in front and to the right.



Most of the group that went together.

1 Comments:

At 3:11 PM, Blogger Natalie said...

that is so awesome. i want to go to a korean football game. and wear a t-shirt. and eat bananas. looks like a lot of fun.

...and amanda does too hate you. she told me.

but i love you. i'm the good one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home