Saturday, January 27, 2007

Korean skillz

Stephanie got something very important in the mail today, and had to pay some taxes on it. The postal service guy came and luckily our Korean friend, Kathy, was able to help us communicate. One of the older security guards has been friendly with us and always tries to have conversations with us, even though he doesn't know much English, and we obviously don't know much Korean.

While Kathy was with us, and we were standing in the lobby, the security guard was commenting to Kathy about how long Stephanie and I have lived here, and how little Korean we know. I began to list the Korean words/phrases I know.

anyong haseyo: hello
kamsa hamnida: thank you
chuseyo: give me
ne: yes
anio: no
choogale: do you want to die?

Of course, when I said the last one both our security guard and the postal man started laughing. We learned the last one from our co-workers, who told us that often girlfriends say it to boyfriends when the boyfriends are teasing them too much. Stephanie and I use it quite often with our Korean friends, just for a laugh.

Today we hung out with the middle schoolers at the orphanage and played Go, Fish (it makes them say "do you have a...." in English), and Spoons, which we taught them two weeks ago. These kids are pretty funny and I really enjoy spending time with them. When the Spoons game was down to four of us, and wacky Charlie was still in the game, I looked him in the eye and said "choogale?" and everybody said "oOHHHHHHHH". That was fun.

Tomorrow Stephanie and I start some informal Korean lessons with a lady from our church - for free! We are excited. Maybe I'll learn something besides "do you want to die?".

2 Comments:

At 8:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how do you pronounce choogale? it might come in handy with A and N. (tracy)

 
At 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just like I wrote it, because obviously in Korean, it looks like Korean words ;)

Choo-Gah-Lay

-me

 

Post a Comment

<< Home