Sunday, April 18, 2010

Otra Vez

He wasn't that old this time, but I'll bunch him in with the others...

I went to a beach town to meet up with Mom, Dad, the staff from the daycare, and people from the boards of directors. We stayed in a gated community, and as I entered, the guard had to sign me in and check my car information. I knew that this guard probably spoke English, and so this was a good time to practice speaking in Spanish, knowing that if all else failed, I could go back to English.

I told him I was here with a certain group, and he asked if I knew what house we were in. I told him, the number of the house, and that my mom had told me that number. He instructed me to put my name on the first line of a page full of boxes, and asked me when I was planning on leaving the compound. I responded, and immediately his next question was "and where did you learn your Spanish?", as if it were next on a standard list of questions. I responded, "here", and he clarified that "here" meant Mexico. I said yes. He said "Eres Americana?" and I smiled and said, "yes, I am American".

:)

Every learner needs affirmation of their efforts.

1 Comments:

At 8:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm a little confused. You learned English in Mexico?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home