Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Recently

It's been a little while, hasn't it?

I can't say that very many exciting things are going on. I think I've reached that "just past honeymoon" phase, and things aren't quite so new and different. When that happens you stop noticing all the new and different things, and you settle into normal, every day routines and attitudes. My Grandma just recently said to me, on the phone "I don't know how you do it". After the intial culture shock and getting settled in, it all becomes VERY normal. Even having people stare at you on the subway is normal. In fact, you can almost gauge WHEN a person is going to stare at you. Or how they will do it.

In fact, when Stephanie and i are in our apartment building's elevator, this happens a lot. A person will get in with us, or on at another floor, and look down at the floor. Very soon they will look at me (for instance). They will glance once, quickly. Then, they will glance a second time, just to make sure they saw me correctly. And then they will look over at Stephanie to see if she's white, too. It's quite funny because it's the same thing every time. I just have to smile.

Most of all I like smiling to kids on the subways. Kids stare the most and why not? This country is very homogenous and when you see someone out of the ordinary, you want to look, and kids are always the most curious. So you just smile back until they get too shy. I smiled at a girl the other night on the subway. She sat in a seat a couple away from me, and her dad ended up sitting next to me. When I got off at my stop, I leaned over, touched her, and then got up and motioned for her to sit in my seat. She smiled so nicely, sat down, and leaned over to say something to her dad while looking at me. As I stood at the door she shyly waved. These are moments that I love.

I have new classes as of the end of last month. This is the third week of new classes. They are actually quite good and I am enjoying teaching them. Three out of four of my classes all seem like motivated students who enjoy learning, or at the very least do their work in class and participate. I am enjoying this term much more than the last and I feel like a seasoned veteran by now.

Stephanie and I are in the midst of many Christmas activities for church, and in fact, we seem to spend most of our weekend at church or with church friends. Some of us are singing for the Christmas Eve service. Stephanie and I are planning the Christmas party for our 20s group, so we are making lists (and checking them twice). It seems very, very busy. Although, when we are around our apartment I get bored quite a bit. I feel like I need a hobby besides reading.

We took this picture last Saturday. This huge lighted "tree" is at our church. Soon I will remember to bring my camera and take more pictures of church.

1 Comments:

At 7:52 PM, Blogger Marcus said...

Glad the church stuff is going well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home