Saturday, November 25, 2006

Thanksgiving

Happy post-Thanksgiving to everyone! While we didn't celebrate Thanksgiving in any way, it was nice to be able to talk to some of my family back at home. Some might wonder if I was very homesick for Thanksgiving with my family, but honestly, when you are in a different country that is so far removed from America, you almost forget about it, simply because nothing here is about Thanksgiving. There are no decorations, no television commercials, no "what are you doing for Thanksgiving?" questions. Our hagwon doesn't even talk about holidays, so we didn't make lesson plans about Thanksgiving like many of our English teaching friends did. (Try explaining the Pilgrims and Native Americans to Korean 4 year olds.)

I did, however, talk about it a little bit last night with my middle schoolers. They knew the concept. They've probably talked about it with English teachers past. I said we eat a lot of food, hang out with family, watch football, and the dads fall asleep in front of the tv.

So while all of you are currently, at this moment, snoozing away, I hope that your Thanksgivings were all wonderful. We have so much to be thankful for, and I hope that you counted your blessings, and that you continue to do so throughout the year.

My Thanksgiving was uneventful, except for the fact that I had a sore throat and a class of very bratty, whiny middle schoolers who were mad that I didn't get pizza for their last class with me. Lots of fun! We start new classes on Monday/Tuesday, so that will be exciting. I have a new policy for myself that includes being a much stricter teacher. It's time to lay down the law! No more Miss nice white teacher!

Christmas is in full swing here. There are displays out in the stores, and a huge Christmas tree on our street. There is a big tree at church, and the small choir is presenting the Messiah tomorrow evening. Today I sat in Starbucks, waiting to meet up with Stephanie, and they were playing Christmas carols in English. I love this season!

Stephanie and went over to a university to receive Korean language lessons for the first time, and for only 1000won, which equals about a dollar. We are currently learning the alphabet. We have a lot of opportunity to practice! It was a fun class and I look forward to going again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home