Monday, February 05, 2007

Super Bowl Monday!

I know that doesn't sound right to you at home, but it sounds just about right to me! I had thought that I wouldn't have a chance of seeing the Super Bowl. I was sure it wasn't showing here, and although some places in town were saying they'd be open in the morning to cater to foreigners who wanted to watch the game, I didn't think going to a bar full of people I don't know at 8am sounded like too much fun. So I didn't think it would happen.

But! We got a surprise on Saturday when our friend Kendall invited us to stay Sunday night at her house, and wake up and watch the game Monday morning with her. This was feasible because Kendall lives on the U.S. Army base here in Seoul with her family. I was so incredibly excited!! I just have really fun memories of hanging out with family friends, or church friends and watching the Super Bowl, so I was eager to be with a crowd to watch it this year.

We spent the night at Kendall's (which is just like an American house.. and actually her stepmom decorates a lot like my mom!), and got up in the morning to go to the main post on base where there is a big bar-style family restaurant and a big basement downstairs for events. The game started here at 8:25am, but we got there after 9am sometime, and actually the place opened at 5am for people to go watch stuff! Kendall's dad has a very high rank in the army and places are always reserved for him and his family so we got to march up to the front and sit at the front table. Wow.

So it was pretty fun to be in that atmosphere, with Americans from all over and people who were rooting for their team. I didn't follow any NFL or any playoffs, so I didn't really have any team I cared about, but I really admired a LOT of the Colts' playing... they pulled some amazing things. It was fun to watch football for 3 hours.

It was ALSO fun to watch Prince on the halftime show. I really like Prince, so this was the big Super Bowl draw for me. Unfortunately during halftime they were doing drawings and announcements and all sorts of giveaways. Prince was starting and some ladies were saying "prince is on! turn the sound on!" but the emcees were saying "sorry, we're doing our own halftime.. if you want to watch Prince you have to go upstairs", so we bolted and ran upstairs. Only problem with that was that the guy doing the announcements downstairs was being telecast upstairs, and so that was a bummer. BUT! It was cool anyway and everything's online these days.

So, after that we had to go back to Kendall's, pack our stuff quickly and make our way home on the subway, getting home in time to do a few things, change clothes, and head off to work - busy day! But definitely worth it.

2 Comments:

At 1:02 PM, Blogger Marcus said...

You like Prince? Really?

Did you hear about his naughty little shadow bit? Yehk.

 
At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Marcus.
Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home