Monday, May 21, 2007

Facts about Korea!

Here's a little Korean trivia for you. I, for one, did not know much about Korea until I came here. In fact, I think I had even look to make sure I knew where it was on a map!

1. The official language for Korea is... (tada!) Korean, which is "Hanguk mal", I believe, in Korean. The language is made up of its own letters, created by a King long ago, who was tired of using Chinese characters for his people to use their own Korean expressions. Smart man! I think Korean is one of the most logical languages in the world- its characters are meant to express the shape the mouth makes while making the sound. For example- the "m" sound is represented by the ㅁ, which really does look like what your mouth does!

2- "Korea" is called "Hangook", or 한국" in Korea. "gook" means land. America is "meegook" or "미국"

3. Korea is only about the size of Indiana. It takes about 5 hours to travel from the top of South Korea to the bottom by car, or a little over 2 hours on the KTX (express) train.

4. The size of the country is small, but its population is big, at about 49 million. Seoul, the capital and biggest city in South Korea. The estimates of its population range anywhere from 10 million to 22 million depending on which parts of the suburbs you include in its estimate.

5. Okay, so this isn't a fact, but the public transportation in Seoul is awesome. The only thing I would change would be to have it be 24 hours, but.. eh, it's really pretty good.

6. Korea is officially called the Republic of Korea, which means its initials are RoK, which gets people calling it "the ROK". ie "How long have you been on the ROK?"

If I can think of more fun Korea facts, I'll write them here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home