Tuesday, May 15, 2007

I couldn't believe my eyes when....

Sentence making last night resulted in Kate saying "I couldn't believe my eyes when Meghan is play with man". I laughed and she changed it to what made a little more sense: "I couldn't believe my eyes when Meghan has boyfriend". I laughed REALLY hard and said "Yeah, I wouldn't believe it either".

Yesterday was Teacher's Day! I swear they celebrate everything here in Korea, but I'm not complaining because I got some gifts! I got a "foaming cleanser" set, a picture frame that also has a mirror, a chocolate bar, AND this awesome bird:

You put its beak on anything and it just floats! I think you want to see another angle:

And to further illustrate the point, here's yet another picture:

I think Belle realized how much I liked it when I was freaking out about it, ran downstairs to show Stephanie, and then came back to tell her I would be teaching the rest of the class with the bird perched on my finger.

One of the best gifts a teacher can get though, is a handwritten note from a student. Louise gave me the cleanser, but the best part was her great notecard (click it to make it bigger):
Louise is so cool.

Another exciting thing happened on Teacher's Day- a war drill! Stephanie and I were out during the day, before teaching, and came out of the subway station to find all of the cars on our very busy street stopped. There were men and women in yellow jackets and hats standing in the street stopping traffic. We walked back to our apartment, and everyone just sat in the cars, and people were not crossing the street.

We found out later that this was a practice drill for when and if North Korea should have ever attack. Apparently they have these drills to make all of the cars stop and civilians should not leave buildings or walk around. We didn't know, and couldn't have known- because all of the civilians on the streets were walking around. We went up to our apartment, and then the traffic started again.

1 Comments:

At 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Louise (a namesake?) did an awesome job on the note. Her English is a credit to you :-). I'm visualizing you teaching with the bird perched on your finger. MOM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home