Saturday, November 15, 2008

How I Know I'm Old

Let it begin! This is how I know I'm old.

Clue #1
I cannot stay away from the craft stores. Fabric, yarn, crafts, whatever. I have lots of ideas and a million different directions I'm going with crafts. That means a run to the store on Monday, and perhaps another run to the store today. I texted a friend to say "I'm off to the fabric store again... I need help!!" When I was young I spent a lot of time at the craft stores with my grandma, who lived with my family. She was patient and nurturing, although I was a chronic non-finisher on projects. She taught me to crochet, how to sew, and tried to teach me to paint, although I never quite got into it. I grew up going to Benjamin Franklin (which for some reason was a craft store and not like... a science or literature or patriotic store of some sort), which later turned into Craft Warehouse.

My grandma had a mug that said "Whoever dies with the most fabric wins!" and I thought she was crazy. I think it is now myself that has turned crazy.

Clue #2
I went to bed at 1:30am last night. I nannied late, and didn't get home until 12:30, but I stupidly wasted my time on the internetz instead of going to bed. I kept telling myself to go to bed, but I just could not stop. But how does that make me old? It makes me old because although I was in bed at 1:30, I woke up at 7:30. My body has no ability to sleep in anymore. I have a friend who can sleep in until 11am. I think the last time I did that, I was wearing braces. What's the deal?? I laid there, trying to go back to sleep, fading in and out, for another two hours before I just gave up.

Why do I think this makes me old? Because my parents do it! It always annoyed me as a kid that my parents were up at 6am on Saturdays, already cleaning the house and making lots of noise. Now, here I am, laying in bed at 7:30, wondering if I should get up and just clean the bathroom. I'm old.

1 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry, hon, but you just can't escape genes. this post proves it: you're a cross between your grandma and your mom :-). of course, we think that makes you pretty much perfect! mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home