Thursday, January 22, 2009

Books and movies

Yesterday I had a full day job at a school that shall go unnamed. They release their kids early on Wednesdays (teacher planning and meetings, I'm guessing), and with their lunch schedules, my fourth graders left 10 minutes after they got back from lunch! Needless to say, it was an easy day.

They have assemblies on Wednesdays, like most of the schools in this district do, and yesterday was their assembly honoring Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. I know this is corny, but it was actually very moving. A number of things happened, the best thing being that the fifth graders all stood up around the gym to read, sentence by sentence, the "I Have a Dream" sentence. I have heard the most famous lines of that speech, like we all have, so many times. But, what I was struck by the most was the line, "This is no time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drug of gradualism."

So I had a good day and I had so much extra time on my hands. With a full lunch break, the kids leaving early, and my official clocking out time a couple of hours after they left, I had reading time. I had brought Coraline with me, a new copy I had picked up. I read this book, by Neil Gaiman, a few years ago with my fifth graders. It has just the right amount of creepiness for fifth graders (and me), and I loved it. When I found out, a year ago, it was being made into a movie, I was super excited. Seeing the trailer has wet my appetite, because having it directed by the man who did A Nightmare Before Christmas seems absolutely perfect.



I spent this morning in an ELL class, which is always enjoyable, as I'm considering an ELL endorsement when getting my Masters. I was going to go running this afternoon, but I just got my hair did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home